1 lb. rigatoni pasta
1 lb. Italian sausage, casing removed
1/4 cup pancetta, thinly sliced (or bacon)
1 onion, chopped
1 carrot, chopped
1/4 lb. fresh sliced mushrooms
3 tbsp. fresh chopped basil
3 tbsp. fresh chopped parsley
1 (16-oz.) container ricotta cheese
1/2 cup heavy cream
1 cup chicken broth
1 cup grated provolone cheese
3/4 cup crumbled feta cheese
1 (28-oz.) can Italian plum tomatoes, drained and chopped
1 1/2 cups of freshly grated Parmesan
Salt and pepper to taste
1) Cook pasta in a large pot of boiling, salted water until only halfway cooked, according to package directions. 2) Drain and rinse under cold water to stop cooking. Toss with a minimal amount of olive oil to prevent sticking. 3) Cook pancetta (or bacon) in large skillet over medium heat until crisp. Drain on a paper towel.
4) Add sausage to drippings in skillet and cook, breaking up large pieces, until well browned. Transfer to paper towel.
5) Pour off all but 2 tbsp. drippings from skillet.
6) Add onion, carrot, mushrooms, basil and parsley & cook until onion is tender.
7) Season with salt and pepper; set aside.
8) Preheat oven to 400 degrees & grease a 13 x 9 x 2-inch baking pan; set aside.
9) Place ricotta in a large mixing bowl and gradually stir in cream and then broth.
10) Add the partially cooked rigatoni, pancetta, sausage, onion mixture, provolone, feta, tomatoes, and 1 cup Parmesan. Season with salt and pepper and mix well.
11) Turn out into prepared baking pan. Sprinkle with remaining Parmesan.
12) Cover pan tightly with aluminum foil and bake for 35 minutes.
13) Remove foil cover and bake an additional 20 minutes, or until golden brown.