1 oz. sq. unsweetened chocolate
1/2 c. water
1/2 c. butter
1 1/2 c. firmly packed light brown sugar
1 3/4 c. sifted cake flour
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/3 c. rum
1) Preheat oven to 350 degress.
2) Melt chocolate in 1/2 cup water over very low heat, stirring constantly. Cool.
3) Cream butter until fluffy. Gradually beat in sugar. Beat in eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
4) Sift flour with baking powder, salt and baking soda.
5) Add flour and chocolate alternately to egg mixture, beating until smooth.
6) Stir in rum.
7) Line 3 (8 inch) layer cake pans or 2 (9 inch) pans with greased waxed paper. Distribute batter evenly among pans.
8) Bake 8 inch layers 15 to 20 minutes and 9 inch layers 20 to 25 minutes or until cakes test clean. 9) Cool for 5 minutes.
10) Turn out on racks and peel off waxed paper. When cool, fill and frost.
Rum Chocolate Frosting:
1) Melt 3 ounce unsweetened chocolate with 1/2 cup dark rum over low heat.
2) Stir in 1 teaspoon vanilla extract.
3) Add 4 cups sifted confectioners' sugar, 1 cup at a time, beating well after each addition.
4) Beat in 1/4 cup soft butter.
5) Add a little more rum if necessary to make frosting of spreading consistency.
6) Spread between layers and on top of cake.